Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”)
[toc]By using our services, you agree to comply with this Acceptable Use Policy, and we may terminate your account if you fail to comply with these policies.
A list of ways to contact Just Vigilantes (JV) is available on here.
The following policy is intended to be a guideline to JV stance against violations of the accepted standards of the Internet community and is not intended to be exhaustive. We reserve the right at all times to protect our and our users’ reputation and goodwill.
- Server Space
- Users are restricted to the agreed amount of server space and bandwidth as agreed by the user and administrators. It is the users’ responsibility to ensure that their disk usage or bandwidth usage does not go over this limit.
- Users may not disclose their password(s) to any other person or third party.
- Users may be permitted to use server-side PHP scripts under the condition that they are solely responsible for any consequences resulting from using such programs. Users are reminded of the need to check the source code of such programs before installing them on JV’s servers.
- Users and their customers are responsible for keeping backups of all their own data. JV will not be responsible for loss of user’s data for any reason.
- Users and their customers are responsible for ensuring that the data stored in their server space does not contravene any UK law or any law in the user’s or their customer’s home country and any conditions imposed by the backbone provider.
- JV reserves the right to remove any site or any section of a site under any of the following circumstances:
- The material is suspected to be illegal.
- The site contravenes paragraph 3 stated above.
- The user closes their account or the user’s account is suspended.
- The presence of the site adversely affects in any way the ability of JV to provide its services to other users or their customers.
- Users may not, or permit any customer to, use JV service for any of the following purposes:
- Initiating or propagating ‘chain’ email or ‘pyramid’ emails.
- Sending spam/unsolicited emails of any type.
- Using their JV account, as a mail-collector for responses for any of the above.
- Users may not, or permit anyone to, use their account for the purpose of obtaining unauthorised access to any computer or service.
- Users are responsible at all times for use of their account. This applies even in the case of accounts being accessed by third parties as a result of a security breach on users’ account, where responsibility is not found to lie with JV.
- JV reserves the right to remove any Usenet article or web site stored on their servers which might be held to be defamatory at its sole discretion.
- Users, are solely responsible for the security of their accounts. A user’s account may be suspended at any time in any case of transmission of any virus, trojan or similar disruptive program or process. Reinstatement of such suspended accounts will be at the discretion of the JV administrators.
- JV undertakes to treat all data held on its servers as confidential and will not access it without the specific permission of the domain controller and then only for the purposes of issue resolution.
- Any information which may be seen as a consequence of any routine or emergency work will be treated as confidential and will not be disclosed to anyone.
- JV operates under the jurisdiction of UK courts and complies with all UK legislation.
- Following a breach of the AUP by any user JV will take any action it considers to be appropriate up to and including closure of the account without notice. All breaches will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Removal of accounts may be subject to review by other JV users.
- Following suspension of a user’s account or account of their customer, the affected party may be required to send a letter or email to JV undertaking not to breach this Policy on any subsequent occasion before the account will be reinstated.
- JV does not allow credits or refunds for any outages resulting from a suspension or deletion of an account under this Policy or for any incident outside of its control. Users may not hold JV responsible for any loss of data, service, revenue or connectivity as a result of using this service.
- JV reserves the right to modify or amend this Policy at any time.
- JV reserves the right to notify the relevant authorities of any action, behaviour, publication or storage by any user or their customer involving, but not limited to the following:
- Paedophile activities, fraud, copyright theft, racial abuse or computer misuse (cracking or “hacking”).
Any breaches of this Policy should be reported to us and the entire posting, together with the full headers, should be forwarded. Although it is not always possible to respond to each abuse report, all complaints will be investigated thoroughly (see below).
Notice for Non-Users
JV takes is responsibilities as Service Provider seriously. We will fully investigate all complaints of any breach of our AUP reported in accordance with this policy, and take any appropriate action as provided for in our policy in the event of a complaint being upheld.
Anonymous complaints will not be investigated under any circumstances.
Complaints of a frivolous nature, or complaints deemed to be unfounded and without merit after investigation will, at our sole discretion, be subject to an administrative charge for use of the administrator’s time. Currently this charge is £100 sterling per hour or part thereof. Submission of a complaint is deemed to be acceptance of this condition.